Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Manliness

Free Republic can get pretty repetitive. All political discussions end up devolving to a few common resonant themes. Yet I must admit I am continually fascinated by Freepers relationships to gender roles. Maybe because it's so alien to me. I mean, I understand violent impulses. But this sort of stuff...It's like a whole other species.

freebilly starts off with an attack on how girly text messaging is:

Too few warriors left in the bunch of feminized narcissistic text messaging pukes that call themselves men these days....

REAL men eschew technology. Except for guns.

tom h
picks up on that theme:

Ensuring boys do not become more emasculated deserves an entire column in itself. Some ideas:

Throw away your son’s iPod, X-Box, video games, etc.; or ban them except for limited times on weekends, and never during the day in summer.

Get them involved in hard work outdoors — building fences, trail-clearing work (if teenagers), car maintenance, painting outdoors, etc. Boys WANT to be real guys but they need examples from their Dads or other trusted men.

Apple Pan Dowdy knows what makes a real man: lifting stuff for ladies!

Here in the “south” we still have men who are real men. I see daily evidence of men opening doors, lifting heavy stuff to help someone, and a lot of other gentlemanly conduct. I guess that is because they know that “southern” ladies still expect it and love them for it.

Check this out - I hold the door for everyone!

Bulldawg Fan knows that when you complain about being male, complaining about being white is pretty close:

Take a look at the latest tv commercial attack on white men. The McDonalds commercial where some pimp-looking white guy is the semi slave boy for a hulking black athelete, providing the bag of McDonald’s food at the demand of the black guy and never even realizing how bad it makes him look.

Oh, and he also seems to be paranoid.

DYngbld
has this thing he does with his daughters. This isn't so horrible, but it struck me as...odd.

I take my girls out on a "Date" a few times a year, each one individually. We have a good dinner at a nice restaurant of there choice, and some activity again of their choice. I want them to grow up knowing how they are supposed to be treated. My wife and I have a wonderful relationship (18 years next month), so I hope my wife has been a good example as to how to treat men, and what to expect and a good relationship.

practice dating with your dad just seems issue-laden to me. But then maybe I read too many Greek tragedies.

OpusatFR
has a story. And it's a whopper:

One of mine was hounded out of a class in the Criminal Justice course entitled Women and Domestic Violence (or something to that effect).

He was the only male in the class and took an inordinate amount of verbal abuse from the girls and women, and the female instructor.

One girl turned in her seat and hit him on the chest.

He dropped the class and changed degree programs.

Yes, he complained but was told he was a big guy (6’ 3”) so too bad about it.

Yes, entire classes of man-hating lezbonazis! They're just down the hall from the wellfare queens.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I'm sure that those darn women just hauled off and slugged OpusatFR's innocent little son in the chest for no reason. If his son takes after the typical Freeper, I'm more than positive that something was done to provoke it.

    And as for DYngbld going on dates with his daughter, just...ew.

    ReplyDelete