Thursday, February 13, 2014

Freepers on unemployment.

The Senate fillibustered extending unemployment benefits. Freepers being by declaring victory against the moochers. Then, some unemployed Freepers angrily declare that this isn't really mooching!!!

SADMILLIE thinks unemployment is a parasite:
Today was a red letter day. It reminds me of the battle of Midway. We crushed that damned parasite unemployment so those lazy bastards will have to go to work and John Boehner dropped to his knees on these damned illegal aliens. I tell you we must now follow up. I demanded Boehner be ousted to my Congressman and he , by God ,listened.
OrangeHoof pulls out some facts that are not true:
States with the highest unemployment generally don’t have Republican senators (imagine that!) so I can understand Heller’s vote as political savvy, not necessarily an ideological decision. That might be true of the northeastern ones as well but it is hard to say since they are RINOs anyway.
icwhatudo tells a totally true story:
Month after month my neighbor told me he could not find a job. One day he invited me over for dinner, I thought it was to celebrate his finding of a new job as we had some of the biggest and best steaks I had in years. After dinner he told me he still was not working but had bought the steaks with his food stamps/independence card. I was sick to my stomach as he told me the good thing about being unemployed was that he had more time to work on his boat. His unemployment FINALLY ran out after what seemed like well over a year...and 7 days later he magically found a job where he is still working today.
xrmusn's social security is different!
I heard the other day that North Carolina had cut off some of the ‘benefits’(???) and the unemployment rate went DOWN once the ‘free money’ was cut off.

Funny how the ‘giveaways’ are considered ‘benefits’ while my SS payments are ‘entitlements’.

And before the ‘other’ crowd jumps in, I also paid into the same system and never drew a penny of unemployment or used medicare/medicaid.
Many Freepers call IC Ken an asshole.
I had an engineer apply for a job open I had. He was off 89 weeks. His resume looked great in my trash can.
Actually unemployed Freeper jocon307 gets nothing but prayers and sympathy:
Hang in there. I know it is hard. I just said a prayer to The Lord Jesus for you. I am sure God knows your situation. I had 2 jobs collapse out from under me within less than 3 years. God gave me another job. May He watch over you.

Thank you so much, SkyPilot! It’s all been very mentally disruptive to me. I never thought I would have such a hard time finding a job, and I never have (of course I had that one for a long time, so I wasn’t looking, which in hindsight might have been a mistake).
Paul R. counsels Freepers to have some empathy:
Especially if one is a professional and past 50, few employers are looking. A lot of people with the option ARE taking early retirement, which helps the U1 unemployment figures, but is deadly to the nation in the long run. Others do just go with the handouts, but I really believe most people would still prefer a good job, if such were available. It truly is, as you say, very discouraging, but you just have to keep hammering away. For those who would disparage others in your situation, I suggest they try walking in your shoes for a while! There’s nothing like actual experience.
Red in Blue PA suddenly ain't worrying about the debt:
Extended benefits have never been cut off at this high a level of unemployment under any President, Democrat or Republican, and that is an empirical fact:

4 comments:

  1. In a discussion on a unionization vote at a VW plant in Tennessee, tcrlaf says this about the UAW:

    The leadership makes too much money bilking the membership.

    That's pretty rich on FR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free Republic is such good advertising for the Democratic Party that I am thinking of sending FR a little money myself.

      Delete
    2. The union leaders may make money, but their workers make more money than non-unionized employees. The median salary for non-union workers is $750/week, while the median salary for union workers is $950/week.

      Delete
  2. The Just World fallacy is central to understanding the 'thinking' of Freepers and others on the crazier end of the Right. Because of God and/or the free market, everyone gets what he deserves, so the fallacy goes. So if you are unemployed it must be because you are lazy, and so undeserving of support. Coveresly, if one is wealthy, it must be all down to your skill/virtue/wisdom, and so you should not have to pay tax or anything like that, as it would be against the will of God's invisible hand.

    How any adult who has ever been to reality can honestly believe is even a crude approximation of how things actually are is the real mystery.

    ReplyDelete